This week I have the pleasure of introducing you all to the brilliant and kind, Dr. John Duffy. Dr. Duffy is the author of the number-one best-selling book, The Available Parent. He is a nationally-recognized expert in self-awareness, relationships, and parenting. He is also the host of the podcast, Undue Anxiety. I met Dr. Duffy while on my book tour for, How To Stop Feeling Like Shit. Following our conversation (I was a guest on his podcast), I knew I wanted to have Dr. John on my show to talk about the very tender topic of depression, because it’s his speciality. Whether you are battling depression or you know someone who is, today’s topic is one that touches so many lives.
Today we talk all about depression, how it shows up, why it’s not your job to fix a loved one’s depression and some ways you can support them. Plus, we touch on boundaries as it relates to depression and what to do if you are a parent of a child who may be struggling with some form of mental illness or depression.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How depression might show up in people’s lives and what it may look like (7 minutes and 57 seconds)
- Some ways you can support someone who is struggling with depression (12:43)
- Therapies, tools, medications, and treatments for depression, today, as opposed to 25 years ago, really do work (23:49)
- The U.S. is seeing an increase in suicide rates more than other countries: Dr. Duffy shares why he thinks this may be and why excessive stimuli could be part of the reason (27:57)
- Changing gender dynamics, gender biases, and marketing: how they play into an increase in alcohol consumption and addiction by women (31:51)
- What to do when you suspect your child is struggling with depression or another form of mental illness (36:55)
Along with his clinical work, Dr. Duffy is the author of the number-one best-selling The Available Parent as well as a frequent media presence. He was the regular parenting and relationship expert on Steve Harvey for 5 years. He also appears frequently on other national and local television and radio outlets, and is cited frequently in national print and online publications. These include the Today show, Fox News, Fox Good Day Chicago, WGN-TV, NPR, WGN Radio, the Huffington Post, the Wall Street Journal, Redbook, Time, Good Housekeeping, Men’s Health, Chicago Parent, Cosmopolitan, Teen Vogue, Wired, Parenting, Your Teen, Parents, Family Circle, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, and Real Simple magazine.
Dr. Duffy is a nationally-recognized expert in self-awareness, relationships, and parenting. He speaks extensively on Availability in both public and corporate forums, presenting with great clarity, compassion and humor. His clients have included Sears Roebuck, Allstate, General Electric, Household Finance, Exxon Mobil, Accenture, KPMG, PLS Financial Services, Bank of America, and Hewitt Associates. He has also developed a three-part seminar on Availability in the Workplace. He blogs on Availability and related issues for the Huffington Post, and communicates regularly through Facebook and Twitter.
Dr. Duffy lives outside Chicago with his wife Julie and son George.