My dear friend, Kate Anthony is back on the YKAL podcast this week to continue our conversation about body image. Just like in Part 1 of this episode, Part 2 follows the conversation between two women on their body image journeys, and the roads traveled so far. Full disclosure and for clarity: We are not body image experts and want to be very clear about that.
Today, we further explore this topic and respond to some of the feedback we received from Part 1 of our conversation. We also discuss diet culture, in-depth. Join us as we awkwardly make our way through the second part of our conversation about body image.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Owning thin privilege and naming it (23 minutes and 10 seconds)
- What is diet culture, exactly? (27:33)
- “The lie about diet culture is that it’s healthy.” (35:28)
- Exercise is NOT bad. Rejecting diet culture was an act of revolution and act of self-love (40:50)
- Reflecting on our earliest memories of dieting, our mothers’ way of handling body image and how those experiences scoped our own views about our bodies and diet culture (47:23)
- If not dieting, then what? Kate’s choice to reject dieting and how she is learning to walk through this new part of her journey (59:19)
Resources from this episode:
The Daring Way Retreat Registration Opens TOMORROW, April 5th!
BodyPosiPanda on Instagram
Defining Diet Culture
The Fat Nutritionist
Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters, by Courtney E. Martin
Kate’s podcast, The Divorce Survival Guide
Kate on Facebook
Kate on Instagram
Kate Anthony is a certified life coach who helps women decide if they should stay in or leave their marriages and then guides them through the divorce process should they choose to leave.
Kate empowers women to find their strength, passion, and confidence even in the most disempowering of circumstances and helps them move forward with concrete plans, putting their children at the center (not in the middle) of all decisions.
In addition to her certification, Kate has also trained as a relationship coach and is an expert in communication, co-parenting, and emotional intelligence.
The Daring Way™ Retreat is ON!
Many of you are familiar with the work of Brené Brown and know I’m a certified Daring Way™ Facilitator since 2014.This summer I’ll be hosting an in-person retreat here in North Carolina in the beautiful mountains of Asheville over a long weekend. If you think it might be something you’d like to do, go to this link and sign up to be notified when I open applications. ?